Jones senator authoring bill he believes will protect gun rights | News
LAUREL, MS (WDAM)- A Jones County state senator is authoring a bill he says will preserve the rights of gun owners in Mississippi. It's in response to a request from Gov. Phil Bryant that lawmakers adopt legislation that would defend 2nd Amendment rights against any executive action from President Obama.
Sen. Chris McDaniel (R, Dist. 42) is writing the Firearm Protection Act of 2013. He says it would mandate that no state agency would assist in the implementation of unconstitutional executive orders relating to gun rights.
McDaniel is also co-authoring two related bills.
"All of these pieces of legislation will be challenged, there's no question about it," McDaniel said. "But, it's a debate we need to have in this country. Right now, we have a president that is exercising far too much authority, we have a federal government that is trying to do too much to too many people and do too many things," he said.
McDaniel says all three bills will be submitted to the Legislature on Monday.
Copyright 2013 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Jones County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment
- Fully-loaded tanker-trailer cleared from Highway 49