LPD hosts firearms training class for women | News
LAUREL, MS (WDAM)- About one dozen women from Jones County participated in a basic firearms training class just for them at the Laurel Police Training Academy Saturday. Police officers conducted classroom training and worked with the attendees to teach them how to properly load and fire their weapons.
The class was free and open to the public.
"We're taking our time to be proactive, giving these women training on how to protect themselves, until we make it to the scene," said Chief Tyrone Stewart of the Laurel Police Dept.
"This is an awesome class," said Janet Keveryn, one of the class participants. "We must be ready at any time if we have an intruder in our home," she said.
"They did a super job of letting us know exactly what to do and what not to do and how to keep ourselves safe," said Joan Young, another class participant.
Chief Stewart said he'd like to see these types of classes offered two or three times a year.
Copyright 2012. WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Jones County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment