Son shares father's WWII story | News
LAUREL, MS (WDAM)- The son of a World War II veteran has been traveling the country sharing his father's Nazi concentration camp stories.
Richard Macdonald is a retired surgeon from Illinois who recently wrote a book called "Inside the Gates." It's about soldiers who liberated victims of a Nazi concentration camp near Ebensee, Austria.
Wednesday, Macdonald was in Jones County with his father's former driver during World War II, Staff Sergeant Walter Presley. Both men were members of the 139th Hospital Evacuation Unit at Camp Shelby.
Macdonald said the book is a way to honor his father and the men who served alongside him.
Copyright 2012 WDAM. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Jones County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment