Father charged in connection of child abuse of seven week old infant | Crime
Jones County Sheriff’s Department made the arrest of man in question regarding a child abuse case that occurred in 2010 where a seven week old baby was brutally abused.
Police arrested the father of the infant, 21 year-old Roberto Mendez, Tuesday and transferred him to the Jones County Sheriff’s Department. Mendez was 19 years old at the time of the incident.
According to Jamie Tedford with the Investigative Division, On October 26, 2010 the Sheriff’s Department was contacted about a possible child abuse case, which led to the investigation of the abuse of the seven week old infant. The infant was taken to South Central Regional Medical Center with breathing complications and broken ribs but was transferred to the University Medical Center in Jackson due to the severity of the injuries.
Mendez initial appearance will be held April 26 at 1:30 p.m. in the Jones County Justice Court Building. According to police more arrest may be forthcoming.
Upcoming Events near Jones County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Teenager dies in Covington County car crash
- Two-car accident in Collins kills two, victims names released
- Former sheriff deputy found on opposite side of the law
- Alleged child molester posts $300,000 bond in Covington County
- Collins Fire Department responds to accident thanks to specialized response equipment